Logo_search_box
Enter a verse or keywords (John 3:16, love, sword of the spirit)

12 April 2006

Be Still my Soul

Had a bit of a moment this morning. Just before I dropped C-A and K off at nursery, Classic FM started playing "Finlandia". The main anthem came in soon after I continued alone on my journey to work. The power of the words really hit me amongst all the stuff thats going in our lives just now:

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, be leaving, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleas’d eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine.

Words: Katharina von Schlegel, in Neue Sammlung Geistlicher Lieder, 1752 (Stille, meine Wille, dein Jesus hilft siegen); translated from German to English by Jane L. Borthwick in Hymns from the Land of Luther, 1855.

No comments: